Matthew's Room

Diary21st - 27th December 1998

Sunday, 27th December 1998
My knee is getting better, the swelling is starting to go down. I was able to get out on another gate pass today. Although I slept through most of it, I had a 3 hour nap. I am still eating well. When I got back to hospital today I had one of my favourite nurses, Jo, waiting for me.
Saturday, 26th December 1998 - Boxing Day
I had a good night's sleep in hospital, my temperature has stayed at normal levels. The only problem I have at the momemnt is that my left knee is sore from a graze I got on Christmas Eve. I couldn't even put weight on that leg this morning, but it seems to be a bit better now.The doctors don't think that it is anything to worry about but they are keeping an eye on it. I was well enough to get out on a gate pass today, so I got to go home for a few hours. I hope to get another gate pass tomorrow also.
Friday, 25th December 1998 - Christmas Day
Yeeaahhhh! It's Christmas, Santa came during the night while I was asleep. When I woke up this morning the santa sack at the end of my bed was filled with presents. I had lots of fun opening up all my presents, Kayla opened up all hers too. By mid morning however, I was starting to feel a bit miserable and I started to get a high temperature. Daddy took me in to hospital at 11:00am and that is where I had to stay for the rest of the day. After a few hours in emergency I was taken back to Camperdown Ward. Santa must have known I was coming because he left some presents there for me and for Kayla too. My counts were all down so I had to have a haemoglobin transfusion as well as a platelet tranfusion. I have also started a course of antibiotics. After the transfusions I am feeling much better, my temperature has gone back to normal and I am still eating well. I am not sure how long I will have to stay in hospital this time, but it will probably be for a few days at least.
Thursday, 24th December 1998 - Christmas EvePhoto Album
One more sleep until Santa comes. We are all hoping that we will all still be at home. I was playing in the cubby house alot today, while Mummy was busy getting ready for Christmas day. We walked up the street to see if Santa would drive by again this year, but he must have been too busy getting the presents ready. But I quite happily ran around with Hayden and Jordan, who had also come to wait for Santa.On behalf of my family and me, I would like to wish you all a Happy Christmas, ... cheers!
Wednesday, 23rd December 1998
I had a check up at clinic this morning, my counts are on their way down. My neutrophils are down to 0.1, and my platelets are 55 which means that I need to go back to the hospital on Saturday for another blood test and possibly a platelet transfusion. Even so I am still feeling good, if things keep going as they are, I may get to spend Christmas at home.
Tuesday, 22nd December 1998
Daddy had to go into work early today, so after breakfast we met Daddy at the park where he gave me my GCSF needle. I cried again but was quickly distracted.We went to Pop's place for lunch and then Avů's house for dinner.
Monday, 21st December 1998
Today was Pop's 70th birthday and he came up at lunch time to celebrate. Diddy came in the afternoon, and when Daddy came home we all went to the Black Stump restaurant for dinner. I have been playing with my new remote control car that I couldn't wait until Christmas to open. I am still feeling pretty good and eating lots of yummy things.

| Home | Favourite ThingsPhoto Album  | Diary | Leukaemia Facts | Sitemap |

Last Updated : Sunday, 03 October 2004

E-mail any comments or suggestions to

This website was designed and maintained by MASK Technology